How I Met Her...


It was the first day of the orientation week.
Forced to walk from here to there, marching like a horde of soon-to-be army.
Legs were of unspeakable tiredness.
It has been so long since I last did that kind of walk.
Then, there was the mosque. I saw her in the entrance, the sliding door, she stood still.
She had the strangest looking eyes I ever witnessed anywhere, I swear! Kind of small, but big at the same time, but they look as if they barely opened.
And she was staring hard at me and I'm just annoyed by the fact that she was standing near the door, not caring to move an inch.
She didn't smile, for I suppose she didn't see me smiled either.
That was the last time I saw her, at least I thought so.

The orientation week was finally over. Can't recalled how many times did in a week mama were forced to listen of me mumbling how miserable my week was.

Then, there was the time in the lecture hall. It was for the education loan.
The speaker suddenly announced that those with names starting with "N" need to be in the opposite lecture hall. And I, as always, not caring to know who was sitting beside me, simply turned right and boldly asked that person to please look after my bag. Of course, that person simply said yes, after a short weird shot to my face. And strangely speaking, that person happened to be the girl with the strange-looking-eyes again.

I dashed out of the hall, went to the opposite hall. After it all ended, I went back to the first hall, to look for my bag, of course. Went out of the hall and suddenly someone patted my back. Turning around, I saw her again, this time, she was smiling. And she said sorry for leaving my bag there, because she too needed to be in the opposite hall. She looked really different that time, her eyes were certainly the same, but they were shining bright with honesty, and she was smiling, that makes her looked different than the first time I saw her, at the mosque. She was glowing.

We chatted and it turned out that we were in the same hostel and the houses were actually really near. Hers were behind mine. And to add to the list, we were in the same class! Phone numbers exchanged and promises were made to walk to classes together. How exciting! I went to sleep feeling excited, for knowing somebody, with my arrogant-look and care-less-look I owned.

The first semester quickly ended and second semester strolled in.
We became room mates, as we requested.
We quickly adapted to each other's lifestyle. She was really down to earth and sincere and really nice.
She was and still a really nice joker, though she won't be admitting that anyway.
But one thing always bothered me though, sometimes she spoke to me in a tone that I can't bear.
She can be really loud and I thought she was mad at me when she talked like that.
Most of the time I got really emotional because I am quite sensitive and every time needed to stop those tear drops from falling. But because I knew she was and is a nice person, one day I just asked her, were she mad at me that she need to speak to me in such loud voice. It wasn't easy for me to ask such question, for I thought it'll cause her discomfort.

But to my surprise, she laughed out loud! Then she said she was not mad at me, at all. Its just her way, that sometimes she did talk, loud. And she laughed again, over the fact that I was nearly crying each time she talked like that. Hahahahahaha, what a great laugh we had that time. I did cry anyway, for laughing all my heart, not for fearing she was mad at me.

She's a friend of mine, up and down through any joy and sorrow.

Thanks for being a dear friend for me all the way...


By: Syima Muslim

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Nature

Nature